Well where do I even start?
To put it frankly, my hair is drier than sand. It doesn’t produce as much oil as silky hair textures do and because of that, it’s dry, flaky and at sometimes unmanageable. On a daily basis, I have to add a special oil or cream to help it stay silky and smooth.
To really keep my hair happy and healthy, I go a step further and have a few routines I do when I wash my hair, which only happens maybe once a week or once every two weeks. (And no I don’t have bad hygiene, that’s a normal wash routine for my hair type!)
Here are some dry hair remedies that have really helped improve my hair.
**These methods are applicable to all dry hair types**
- Buy a good deep conditioner that has some natural ingredients inside and buy a tin foil cap to go with it!
- “First off, what the heck is a tin foil cap?!” Well, let me blow your mind! When I discovered this my hair was definitely happy I did. It’s a cap you place on your head that locks in the heat and moisture which intensifies the deep conditioning. If I have enough time, I will deep condition my hair and put on the tin foil cap and sleep overnight with that. In the morning, my hair is SO smooth when I wash it out! You can buy these caps at Sally’s Beauty Store or any other black hair care store. (Superstore and Shoppers Drug Mart might even have it in their “black hair isle”.
- Sulfate free shampoo – Sulfate is what makes the suds in your shampoo appear and what helps cleanse your hair but, it also is what is making your hair so dry. So try a sulfate free one and pair it with a good conditioner.
- Sulfate free shampoo is also great if you have sensitive skin or colored hair.
- Castor and lavender oil
- Castor Oil helps stimulate blood circulation to the follicles which helps your hair grow faster. The oil contains omega-9 fatty acids that are responsible for healthy hair. It also helps reduce split ends, controls hair breakage, and conditions and moisturizes your hair.
- Lavender Oil is a great essential oil to add to your hair that helps with hair growth. Like castor oil, apply this to your hair at night or include it in your deep conditioning routine and wash it out in the morning for softer hair. **Fun fact: Lavender oil is also great as a preventative measure for male patterned baldness. (Any male readers out there???!)
- Protective hairstyles – When all else fails, protective hairstyles are here! Protective hairstyles are great to help keep your hair healthy and to help grow it out longer.
Here are a few of the types of hairstyles.
Check back to read my next post for a detailed explanation on each of those protective styles! (ooooooo ahhhhh!)